PDF Encryption and Password Handling Version number:
Security settings are important for protecting the PDF document’s sensitive information. If you encrypt and secure PDF files to prevent unauthorized access/restrict sensitive operations, you can choose what others can and can't do with your PDF documents including document viewing, printing, editing, and copying which all can be individually turned on or off, offering you a great deal of control in protecting sensitive information.
- Secure PDF documents using 40-bit or 128-bit RC4 encryption.
- Restrict unauthorized users from viewing, printing, editing, and copying content from your PDF files.
- Password-protect PDF files, requiring users to enter a password to open or edit the file.
PDF Security settings can be configured under the Security tab of the PDF Settings dialog.
- Encryption length: This value defines the length of the encryption key. Available values: No Encryption, 40 bit Encryption, or 128 bit Encryption. Black Ice Printer Drivers use RC4 algorithm for encryption.
- Password required to open the document (User level): If specified, the document can only be opened with the password. If Owner level password is also set then this password acts as a User password allowing only limited access specified by the Owner. You can specify a user password only if the encryption has been set. If the user password is empty but encryption is turned on, the PDF document will still be encrypted but will not require a password to open the document. Password should be maximum 32 characters.
- Password required to edit the document (Owner level): If specified, Opening the document with the correct owner password allows complete access to the document. You can specify a Owner password only if the encryption has been set. If the owner password is empty the PDF document will still be encrypted and the user will have all access to the document. Password should be maximum 32 characters.
|Encryption||User Level password||Owner Level Pass word||Usage|
|No encryption||Not specified||Not specified||Resulting PDF document can be opened and edited freely.|
|40 or 128 bit||Not specified||Not specified||PDF is encrypted, but can be opened and edited. Content is encrypted, therefore unsearchable.|
|40 or 128 bit||Not specified||Specified||Owner can specify which restriction should apply to users.|
|40 or 128 bit||Specified||Not specified||PDF can only be opened by this password. In this case User will have complete access.|
|40 or 128 bit||Specified||Specified||Combination of the two above: a password is required to open the document. Owner can specify which restriction should apply to Users. If opened with User password, user probably has limited access. If the document is opened by the owner password, they have complete access to edit or change user permissions.|
- Security Settings: These settings are enabled if the owner password is not empty.
- Allow users to print the PDF document: If this option is checked, the PDF document can be printed..
- Allow users to copy out text and graphics: If this option checked, users can copy/paste text and graphics from the PDF.
- Allow users to fill in form fields and modify comments: The form fields and the comments can be changed by the users in the PDF document.
- Allow users to change the PDF document: Allows the users to edit the contents of the pages, meta data and other settings of the PDF document