Can I do this?

Moderator: Technical Support Team

Can I do this?

Postby PeterCunicelli » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:36 am

Hello,

I'm evaluating Black Ice. So far, I'm impressed with all that it can do. I have a project that allows users to select multiple documents (PDF, DOC(x), XLS(x), JPG, GIF, as well as a few others). All of these documents are stored in a database. As I iterate through the list, I convert each to a PDF and create one large PDF. This all has to be done in memory. If we only have 50 users at any given time, we don't have the disk space to handle the potential amount of documents that could be saved to disk, however temporarily. We also can't afford the bandwidth if each user was to write to his local drive. If I can't do it the exact way I planned, is there another way?

Thanks much for any help in advance!
PeterCunicelli

Re: Can I do this?

Postby TechnicalSupportTeam » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello,

The printed can convert a document in memory. The Black Ice printer driver has a feature to produce the output in memory NOT in a file.
For technical details please see:

http://www.blackice.com/Printer%20Drivers/pdf_hipaa.htm
TechnicalSupportTeam

Re: Can I do this?

Postby PeterCunicelli » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:59 am

Thank you. Maybe I need to be more clear. I'm reading a BLOB from a database. Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't seen the code that takes a memory stream and converts it to PDF. I've seen file stream. The application is an online form management system. Users enter data, supervisors approve it and it's saved as a PDF. Sometimes the users uploads other types of documents, or photos. To print them, they have to select each one, one at a time and print. The plan is for the user to select them once and print them. The application sends the list of selected documents to the server. On the server, I iterate through that list, get the document from the database, and a 3rd party tool converts the document to PDF, adds it to one large PDF. Once I finish getting all the documents, the PDF of combined documents, is sent back to the client, opened in a new window and the user prints it. This is a Silverlight app.
PeterCunicelli

Return to Auto-print SDK