Advanced naming

Print2RDP related topics

Advanced naming

Postby ryan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm

I have an older Dell Laser Printer that does not have a built in network card so I share it through our local network from an XP workstation. This is the default printer for 7 people in the office.

When we remote in to our terminal server, all we see is 7 instances followed by the sessionid#.

I went into the Print2RDP server setup and added the "User" name option to be shown at the end of the printer/sessionid#/. This function does not appear to be working and only shows the actual user name of the client logged in on the workstation that is sharing the printer. Is it because the printer is a local network share through a workstation?

Anyway to make it show the individual user's instance of the device so I don't have to reference sessionid#s on a daily basis?
ryan

Re: Advanced naming

Postby TechnicalSupportTeam » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:03 am

Hello,

The "Advanced printer naming settings" in the Print2RDP server can be set to display the local user name of the terminal server and not the user name at the workstation.
Could you please send us step be step introduction about this issue because we do not understand this: "This function does not appear to be working and only shows the actual user name of the client logged in on the workstation that is sharing the printer."
TechnicalSupportTeam

Re: Advanced naming

Postby ryan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for the reply.
As far as the naming scheme, I was referring to the account name of the user logged into his machine sharing the printer on lan, and logged into to our terminal server. For example, I would only see //user/nameofprinter-sessionid#. If I have 10 people sharing a printer on a lan hosted by a client's machine, it would always display the mentioned line, only changes were sessionid# which doesn't tell users who they are.

Lastly, everything is working fine as it seemed the server needed to be rebooted for the changes to take place.
ryan

Return to Print2RDP (Formerly ePrintAnywhere)