BlackIceDEVMode.ocx

Black Ice Printer Driver related questions

Moderator: Technical Support Team

BlackIceDEVMode.ocx

Postby bdaniels » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:30 pm

I recently moved a project using the Black Ice PDF Printer driver from a 32-bit Windows XP machine to a 64-bit Windows 7 machine. My project is in VS 2010. The issue I am having is that I am unable to add the 64-bit version of BlackIceDEVMODE.ocx as a reference to my project on the Windows 7 - 64 bit system. When I do I get an error that it is not a valid com object. However, with the same project on a Windows XP-32 bit system I am able to add the 64-bit version of BlackIceDEVMODE.ocx as a reference without issue. Can you explain why this is happening? Why I am unable to add this reference? FYI, the file I am trying to add as a reference is in the 64-bit version Resource Tool kit: C:\Program Files\Black Ice Software LLC\Black Ice PDF 64 bit Windows RTK\BlackIceDEVMODE\BlackIceDevMode.ocx. I am trying to build a 64-bit version of my software on a 64 bit machine and it won't allow it, yet I can build a 64-bit version of the software on a 32 bit machine fine. Please explain.
bdaniels

Re: BlackIceDEVMode.ocx

Postby bdaniels » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:55 am

I found this information in one of your help files for another product:

The OCX files must be registered in order to use them or to build the .NET samples. The installer does this automatically, but you can reregister or unregister them using Microsoft's regsvr32.exe utility or the ActiveX Test Container that comes with Visual Studio. The test container in Visual Studio under "Tools/ActiveX Test container" is the 32 bit version. 64 bit ocx files require the 64 bit version.

Following this I manually registered the .ocx file on my Windows 7-64 bit OS and now I am able to add the .ocx file to my project.

Can I ask you why that your installer does not automatically register the COM object in the installer for the 64-bit version of the Resource Took kit? What kind of sense does it make for it not to be registered? That caused so much confusion at first until I happened to find the above information.

In any case I am able to proceed now.
bdaniels

Postby bdaniels » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:22 am

Now I am getting the following error when trying to install my project that was successfully compiled on my Windows 7-64 bit machine onto my Windows 7-64 bit machine:

AddSetupEntries failed: Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {1503569A-0AE2-4333-B6E6-466AB0BC73E5} failed due to the following error: 8007007e The following module could not be found.

This is for the BlackIceDevMode.ocx file that I manually registered. I looked in the registry for the class ID and it exists. Why would it be saying that and what can I do to resolve the issue?
bdaniels

Postby bdaniels » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:07 pm

I resolved this COM class factory error by modifying a different installer project to meet my needs. Apparently I made some small mistake in creating the one installer that is so obscure I could not locate it even after going over everything carefully twice. So consider this to be resolved for now. And thanks for all the feedback.
bdaniels

Return to Printer Drivers